A Senior Accountant is newly in a position of advanced technical aptitude and supervisory responsibilities. A Senior must be able to handle more complex assignments than the staff, begin to learn the complete process of managing all tasks regarding client work, and take a lead role in developing/reviewing the work of less experienced staff. The Senior role is the bridge between the staff, who are executing the client-service related tasks, and the management, who are strategizing and overseeing successful completion of efficient engagement activity and top quality client service. The Senior needs to be the liaison to management, and therefore needs to develop a broader scope of the business into a supervisory role. During this time, the Senior is expected to develop confidence with his/her role, to become fully acclimated to a supervisory position, where he/she may be in charge of the day-to-day activity on multiple engagements and/or supervising multiple team members. The Senior increasingly needs to be able to perform the most complex technical tasks of the engagement and work more and more with less supervision. Finally, to adequately prepare for manager responsibilities, the Senior needs to explore opportunities amongst various industries over time and then narrow down their industry focus.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all technical aspects of the job, including related knowledge of necessary systems and procedures
- Handles more complex tasks and projects within discipline/ function
- Reviews work of less experienced staff and shares knowledge to develop staff technical skills
- Recognizes complex technical issues, evaluates facts efficiently, and uses strategic decision-making skills to assist management in solving problems
- Demonstrates savvy and understanding of interrelationship with other departments
- Demonstrates advanced technical knowledge effectively through written and verbal communication.
- Follow regulations and professional ethics of state bodies appropriate to discipline, including AICPA.
- Keep current on all professional pronouncements.
- Proficient in use of all technology necessary to performance execution
- Ensures top quality client service and oversees client service performance of staff
- Assists management in planning and managing engagement activity and follows through to achieve results
- Recognizes needs and issues pertinent to client activity and demonstrates ownership of engagement’s day-to-day tasks and activities.
- Maintains designated chargeable hours for the year (determined by Geography & Discipline leaders)
- Appropriately manages risk and ensures quality control procedures are being executed
- Coordinates various phases of engagement with Management
- Builds client relationships and maintains smooth working relationship
- Responds timely and accurately to internal team and client requests
- Seeks new ideas and better ways of accomplishing job and company goals
- Increasingly builds knowledge base of the Firm’s industry lines and service offerings
- Solicits internal experts from which to learn and builds relationships
- Begins to develop referral sources, which may include involvement in community, social, business, and professional organizations, as well as Alumni functions
- Increasingly develops understanding of how to identify market opportunities; assists management in identify marketing and sales opportunities
- Positively represents and actively promotes the Firm
- Participates in mentoring, training, recruiting, retention and team-building activities; effectively delegates, supervises, trains and mentors all staff
- Provides timely input to Manager on performance reviews.
- Assists management in motivating all staff and building morale.
- Proactively shares knowledge and takes ownership of developing people
- Effectively supervises staff with poise and professionalism during stressful times, especially during peak periods of client engagement and deadlines
- Serves as a role model for the staff
- Promotes the ideals, values, mission, and vision of the firm.
- Conducts oneself professionally and shows respect to others at all times
- Proactively seeks knowledge, new tasks and responsibilities
- Cooperative and responsive to training, supervision and constructive criticism
- Respects and embraces diversity; looks to build a One-Firm team spirit amongst staff
- Punctually enters time and expenses to support efficient billing processes
- Reviews & monitors staff time
- Maintains appropriate compliance with all firm wide and local office policies and procedures
- Promotes the most efficient operations of the Firm and supports compliance guidelines in managing others
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent technology experience
- Bachelor’s in Accounting (for Audit or Tax)
- 2-6 years in relevant position
- Public accounting or other professional services environment preferred
License / Certification
- Must progress professionally by obtaining relevant certification as soon as possible if certification is not already attained in order to advance
- Must maintain required CPE credits annually