The skills and knowledge required would generally be acquired with a high school education with course work in Business English and Commercial Arithmetic with four years of progressively responsible secretarial or office administrative work, or Associate’s degree in Secretarial Science and two years’ progressively responsible secretarial or office administrative work.
CORE JOB REQUIREMENTS:
PLUS JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Media relations, including preparing press releases, responding to press inquiries, organizing and publicizing press conferences & a wide range of public events
- Creating communications strategies for the Town, Mayor’s Office, and a range of municipal departments
- Writing and content creation for a range of media, including print, digital, website/blog, social, formal correspondence, and proclamations & citations. Must be able to write consistently in differing voices appropriate to a range of varied municipal agencies and programs. Strong ability to copy-edit or redraft complex and technical writing to appeal to a wide audience
- Web editing, using a drupal-based Content Managing System. Should have a strong understanding web writing and editing content as well as some understanding of SEO and analytics functions
- Graphic design, including creating graphics & images for the web, social media, flyers and posters, and digital display signs
- Customer service, including assisting members of the public with questions or concerns by phone and in person
- Ability and willingness to support Mayor and colleagues with other duties as needed
- Ability to multitask and balance a range of priorities in a fast paced, results-oriented environment.
- Photography, including photographing events, portraits, and buildings / landscapes, as well as experience with image processing tools like Photoshop / Lightroom. Knowledge of photography basic principles a plus, experience with photography on mobile devices also a plus
- SEO optimization, including experience with Google Analytics or similar platforms, with a focus toward identifying opportunities and maximizing resources
- Strong writer, with ability to create content for a wide range of media, audiences, and formats, on demand and to deadline.
- Experience working with traditional and new media and the public to advance strong narratives on a diverse range of topics and programs.
- Ability to work collaboratively with Mayor’s Office colleagues, municipal department directors & staff, and outside stakeholders to engage the public about Town events, services and initiatives
- Strong understanding of web design, experience working with Content Management Systems, and ability to work creatively to maximize use of the Town’s web hosting service
- Experience with digital strategy, maximizing use of web and social media resources
- Experience with graphic and visual design, with Adobe CC knowledge preferred
- Organized self-starter with a strong desire to learn new skills and increase understanding of town policies and programs in order to better assist the Mayor, town staff, and the public
- Strong computer skills, including firm understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, as well as web based databases and content entry systems, willingness to experiment and self-teach new digital resources.
- Experience with municipal or state government communications, including understanding of relevant legal environment and best practices
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills, techniques, or computer systems in a self-directed manner
- Experience with photography, videography, or willingness to learn
- Experience training or teaching web & computer skills, including social media basics, content creation, and strategy
- Ability to troubleshoot computer technology and web and digital platforms, as well as create creative solutions to technical problems.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with employment application
The above tasks and responsibilities are illustrative only. The description does not include every task or responsibility.
The Town of East Hartford is an Equal Opportunity Employer